Monday, September 22, 2008

Weekend Reflections & Autumn Thoughts

First and Foremost: GO PACK!!
Well, other than watching the awesome NC State vs. ECU game (I know, I went to ECU. But you can't erase a lifetime of loyalty just because I went to another school) our weekend was pretty chill. Jeremy and I had the windows open ALL weekend: Thank you Lord for the beautiful fall weather. We woke up Saturday snuggled under the covers because we were actually cold!! Halleluiah!! So we spent the morning watching Across the Universe (beautiful movie) and eating Taco Bell for lunch. It was bliss.

Upon seeing Across the Universe a thought was confirmed that I've had for about 15 years now. I grew up in the wrong decade. Now, I will NEVER speak ill of the 80's. I mean how could you? Pretty in Pink, T-Shirt Rings, neon splatter paint (everywhere), Duran Duran, the crimper, and on and on. However, I have felt for a long time that I would have fit in perfectly into the 60's/70's. I believe it was when I was a hippie for Halloween in 2nd grade. I loved the clothes that my mom resurected from her past. I was in awe of the music my dad listened to, and, once I learned all about the Vietnam War, I was a fervent protestor of our being over there. I just see myself as Lucy (Across) in a Greenwich Village apartment with 8 other free spirits and enjoying life and music and protesting the war. I must say, there are some aspects I choose not to participate in, like the over-use of drugs, but all in all I'd love it. This is just something I've always thought about and Saturday's screening just confirmed it even more...

Now, today is the first day of Autumn. My favorite season. I love Halloween, pumpkin spice candles, orange and brown, leaves falling, and college football. Tonight's supper is my tribute to fall rolling in. I'm making spaghetti squash. It's a great low carb alternative to pasta and sooo good! All you do is slice the squash lengthwise and then again in half to make quarters. Now, Jer and I are saving half of it for another night but two people could easily eat a whole squash. Scrape out the seeds and soft pulp on the inside (it smells like a pumpkin, yum). Then, rub olive oil all over the squash then sprinkle the inside with salt and pepper. Place the two quarters rind side up on a cookie sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes at 375 degrees. Once the pulp is done, scrape the pulp out with a fork (it should look like spaghetti as you're scraping it out). Add any toppings you like. Tonight we're adding sauteed red onion, tomatoes, and lemon juice. As Jeremy says, "Yum yum gimme some."

Happy Autumn Everyone....

1 comment:

Kelly Via said...

Yum, spaghetti squash!! Bring it on! That stuff is yummy! I'm going to have to try to cook it sometime!