Monday, May 24, 2010

That's My Story...




Anna, graduating.

When I was in second grade, my mom told me and my brother that my sister (then three years old) was going to have surgery. Major surgery. Then, she made us watch a video of a similar surgery that she received from the doctor to help us understand what my sister would have to go through. My brother was enthralled while I was terrified. My little sister's head would be cut open to insert a cochlear implant to help her hear. She was born deaf and she was a perfect candidate for an implant. So they shaved half of her head and cut it open. When she was out of the hospital, my mom and my sister came to school to pick me and my brother up. My sister had a giant white turban-like bandage on her head. All I could do was laugh. I mean I laughed out loud right in the hallways. Now, I know what your thinking.

Geez Erin, have a heart. Your sister just had major surgery for crying out loud!

Well, it was the only reaction that came out. I think that in my 2nd grade mind, I was just thankful that she was there for me to make fun of. She was okay and the surgery had gone well. In the coming years my mom would work tirelessly to help my sister stay on track in her mainstream classes. Having the cochlear implant allowed my once deaf sister to be able to hear. But it wasn't all cupcakes and rainbows (I could eat a cupcake right now, but I digress). My sister had a hard time taking in information the way most of us do in a full class or crowded room. There have been bumps along this road, but my sister has always come out swinging.

So, this past Sunday, she graduated. She spent the last 4 years at a private all girls school here in Raleigh, Saint Mary's. She formed friendships with girls that will last a lifetime, learned things that challenged her way of thinking, accomplished athletic goals that few have before, and she texted more than I think any human ever has. Under an umbrella of southern oaks my sister walked across a stage, shook the dean's hand, and received her diploma. She was poised, confident, radiant, and most of all, happy. She had accomplished something that most people are proud at receiving, but the pride that she felt was magnified by the pride that my parents, my grandparents, my brother, and I were sending to her at that moment. I felt it all through my body, down to my toes. I felt nothing but pure joy for my sister's great achievements. I cheered as loud and obnoxiously as I could in hopes that she'd know how proud of her I was. I think she knew.

My sister is so wonderful. She is funny, sweet, kind, and always thinking of others. Her soccer accomplishments are amazing and she will continue to improve as she plays in college. I can't wait to go to some of her home games and cheer her on as I always have alongside my mom. I will miss her being around, but I know that God has such a plan for her life and I can't wait to see what else she'll accomplish.

I love you Anna Grace and I'm so proud of you.


(More photos to come later, hilarious haircuts and all)

1 comment:

Mama Meg said...

Thank you Precious for a wonderful thing you said about your sister. Also thank you for your kind words about me. I love you so much .
Mom