Monday, October 27, 2008

My Hubby, the hott one...on politics













ON POLITICS…by Jeremy Morin

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/obama_and_infanticide.html

I am attempting to respond to what I hope will be the last political related email I receive this year. First, though, let me say that in no way do I support abortion…on any level, at any time during a pregnancy. (I suggest reading that again to be sure that you understand my view of abortion.)

Now, short of berating anyone who takes political videos posted on YouTube or any other website as completely objective and unbiased, I would like to encourage everyone to conduct their own nonpartisan research on every issue, especially those that strike our emotional chords hardest.

Currently, abortion is legal (I can’t believe I am having this conversation again). The President alone cannot change the laws of this country; in fact, the President has surprisingly little power when you look at what he can actually do without the consent of Congress. Consider this a good thing because not only does it eliminate the possibility of a dictatorship, rest assured that the President also cannot suddenly make abortion, never mind infanticide, legal. All of this assumes that Obama does support infanticide, when there is conflicting evidence, specifically in his voting record, on the issue. As a democrat, he supports abortion rights. That is, he supports a woman’s right to choose for herself, as he (and other democrats) feels it is her right to privacy that allows her this ability. This is the biggest problem with, dare I say, conservatives and abortion. It is often construed that when someone votes for abortion rights, that they agree with the act of abortion. This is not always so. Many, it can be expected, base their opinions on their interpretation of the Constitution. That is, they accept that there is a right to privacy, and under this stated Constitutional right, the opportunity to choose to abort a baby shall not be impeded upon.

(At this point, you may want to read the second sentence of this letter again.)

Moving on…
I have said from the very beginning of this, ever since John McCain was nominated to be the Republican candidate, that there are more important issues that will affect our economy and our stance/reputation on a global scale. I can’t believe that more people aren’t talking about how John McCain said that since he is not as well versed in economics as he should be, he would like to appoint someone (as VP) who is. Enter Sarah Palin. Wait, what? Didn’t he say he wanted someone who is versed in economics? Consequentially, our republican ticket consists of a 72 year old veteran, who admittedly doesn’t know all he should about economics and a 44 year old former sports reporter, who somehow became Governor, and this the best choice for our nation’s economy? Really? So we are trusting in someone whose better judgement, and that of his advisors I imagine, chose a hockey mom over a former excessively successful businessman, Mitt Romney. I’m not sure I want that judgement leading this country.

http://www.mccainfactcheck.com/facts/11/john_mccain_333426.shtml
http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/bogus_claims_in_boca.html

I could go on for days about economics, qualifications, and the global consequences of being misguided, but that would bore you and it is an issue that will always have two sides.

After watching Pastor Jimmy’s video blog, the fallacies of elections hit me. We, Christians, Christ Followers, are electing a sinner on moral and economic issues to lead an immoral country in an immoral world. I don’t really need to say any more than that.

5 comments:

Laura Robinson said...

Sorry, but you're wrong. The president does have tremendous influence on right-to-life issues. He appoints justices to the US Circuit Courts and the Supreme Court. Obama has made it painfully clear that his appointments will be based on whether or not a judge understands what its like to be a pregnant teenager, as if the original wording of the constitution is completely irrelevant. Screw it, lets just base all our legal decisions on personal emotional convictions of liberal justices. That sounds like a great way to promote democracy.

Now about that right to privacy... Its just another sorry excuse for avoiding real discussion. The real question is whether or not an unborn child deserves protection, PERIOD. If aborting a child equates to killing an innocent life, how can you in good conscience claim a "right" to privacy? By the way, I think the constitution makes it pretty clear that the right of all men to LIFE, liberty, and so on trumps someone else's "right" to murder them in private and not face consequences.

So go ahead, vote for the candidate who always sided with Planned Parenthood in the Illinois Legislature. Call me hateful and close-minded all you want. But you know that deep down inside, you would hate me if I killed my baby because I decided I could no longer afford her after losing my job.

I'm sorry, but I will not be silent when my tax dollars are spent killing innocent children. It would be evil and cowardly for me to ignore the wholesale slaughter of babies committed every day in my own community. If you are content to accept that as the status quo, fine. But don't disrespect those of us who disagree. We just think the lives of the children outweigh an adult's wish to skirt personal responsibility.

Laura Robinson said...

quote: We, Christians, Christ Followers, are electing a sinner on moral and economic issues to lead an immoral country in an immoral world. I don’t really need to say any more than that.

I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. I think too many believers forget that we are in a fallen world, when its time to elect a president. The question is, what issues should we, as believers, give the highest priority? I think its something there needs to be more discussion about.

Laura Robinson said...

(The above posts were written by Caleb)

Anonymous said...

I somewhat agree with what you have to say here Caleb.
But Caleb...really? This comment was so laced with hatred that it nearly made me sick to my stomach. I literally hate everything you just wrote because of that. You negated your entire moral argument by being an asshole to your brother in Christ. No on wants to listen to your hatred.

Laura Robinson said...

I wrote a response to Cameron's comment, but it is not here:( Since its floating around somewhere in cyberspace, I'll try again.

FIRST OF ALL, I AM SORRY FOR MY MILITANT TONE. THIS IS AN ISSUE I AM PASSIONATE ABOUT AND IT IS DIFFICULT FOR ME TO KEEP MY EMOTIONS OUT OF MY ARGUMENTS. BUT THIS IS NO EXCUSE FOR MY ATTITUDE. SO I APOLOGIZE TO JEREMY, ERIN, CAMERON AND ANYONE ELSE I OFFENDED.

I hope you will accept my apology and give me a chance to explain where I am coming from. I have studied this issue in depth from every angle. I read about everything from current topics of debate to the history of eugenics. I have been sick to my stomach and had difficulty sleeping at times because I was so repulsed by the devaluation of human life among the educated classes of western society.

I prayed and prayed and committed much time to thought on the issue. After several attempts to embark on intelligent discussion with people of opposing viewpoints, I threw up my hands in frustration (you know the gesture). I became annoyed by the illogical and immoral positions held by so many Christians.

I'll give you a few brief reasons for my concern. Every day in this country, over 3000 innocent children meet their demise. Exact numbers are unknown because the politically powerful abortion industry refuses to release such figures. This multi-billion dollar industry operates in our communities (I can give you addresses of clinics near our homes, schools and churches), in some instances receives government funding and often breaks the law. I can give you source after source that proves Planned Parenthood willingly provides abortions to minors without asking for identification (in states that require parental consent) and consistently ignores statuatory rapes. Its pretty clear that their only concern is their bottom line. I could go on for hours here, but I think I've made my point.

I just don't understand how we as Christians can ignore ongoing slaughter of innocent human beings because speaking out might infringe upon someone's "right" to privacy. There are precedents in scripture for the respect of the unborn, so we can't claim that a fetus doesn't count. But before someone claims that religion has no place in politics, I want to point out a few historical movements. Martin Luther King claimed that all men should be treated equally, as they were made equal by their Creator. Should he have sat at the back of the bus and kept his personal convictions to himself? What about the abolishionist movement? Does anyone think all those Bible-thumping northerners should have minded their own business? What about GK Chesterton's heroic opposition of forced sterilizations in the UK? Our country was not fortunate enough to learn from his writings. The US government forcibly sterilized countless women deemed inferior for reproduction. Once again, I could continue for hours with examples of Christian activism that resulted in a greater respect for our fellow man.

Now how can we in good conscience continue ignoring the vast unchecked evil perpetrated in our own backyards?

I REPEAT AGAIN, I AM TERRIBLY SORRY FOR BEING A JERK EARLIER. PLEASE TRY TO LOOK BEYOND MY SINFULNESS AND ACKNOWLEDGE THE MILLIONS OF LIVES LOST TO A MURDEROUS CORPORATE MACHINE. GET MAD AT ME IF YOU WANT, I DESERVE IT FOR MY ATTITUDE. BUT PLEASE DON'T KEEP SILENT ABOUT THE INNOCENT BABIES WHO ARE THROWN IN THE TRASH. ALL PEOPLE ARE MADE IN GOD'S IMAGE AND WE MUST COURAGEOUSLY DEFEND THEM.